Axel Vervoordt at Kanaal, Antwerp, Belgium | City Breaks in Europe with HIP Hotels TV
One of the most interesting and inspiring things to do in Antwerp is to visit Axel Vervoordt at his converted industrial complex called Kanaal.
For 30 years Axel Vervoordt has been applying his unique ‘eye’ and ‘philosophy’ to antiques, to art and to design and the decorative arts.
He has worked constantly and consistently towards developing an ‘art of living’ that, in his words, ‘can transform the ordinary object into an objet d’art’.
Vervoordt has a deep respect for everything that is authentic and it is this fascination with the ‘spirit of things’ that allows him to engage in such a broad range of interests. From artists such as Anish Kapoor and Lucio Fontana, to Khmer Buddhas, Roman busts and weathered utilitarian objects; all things displayed at Kanaal embody the Japanese notion of ‘Wabi’ – a point in creativity at which only the essential remains.
Kanaal, a huge sprawling former distillery and malting complex that runs along the Albert Canal, is the perfect setting for Vervoordt’s vision. Unlike any other person in the world of the arts he approaches matters of aesthetics with a philosopher’s mind making room for paradox, contradiction, ambiguity and conflict.
It makes Kanaal far more interesting than a museum. The combination of furniture, art, objects, antiques, decorative items, textures, colours, patina etc. engages the brain and the heart in a manner that only such an original and singular vision can.
Most museums and galleries leave me feeling drained and exhausted. Kanaal inspires in a way that I don’t notice the time when I’m there and when I do leave, reluctantly, it is with renewed energy, vigour and inspiration.
Antwerp is a city with a rich history and a distinctive signature of modernity. The Antwerp Railway Station is the worlds fourth greatest train station, with a combination of monumental heritage and cutting edge engineering. Watch the video here: http://bit.ly/1ftNsor
The HIP Hotels Trailers do for hotels what film trailers do for movies. Choose your hotel here: http://bit.ly/13gZimM
Escape and make travel memorable! http://bit.ly/16bgi8r
Travel should be memorable! Memories are the most precious things we own and all memories start with inspiration. HIP Hotels TV was created to inspire you: To expose you to a global variety unique, stylish, exotic and emotive travel experiences.
Subscribe now for the travel you will never forget! http://bit.ly/146POW5
Pack your bags and escape in Highly Individual Places! http://bit.ly/OL2qMM
HIP Hotels is an atlas of global opportunities; a worldwide guide to the kind of hotels we all want to find, if only we knew where to look. Unusual, unique, interesting, out of the way, and almost always charming, the places that HIP Hotels feature make travel what it should be, namely exciting and rewarding.
Register to enter a world of amazing offers and travel opportunities: http://bit.ly/16N7IkM
Photography: Herbert Ypma
Music: ‘Groovin’ On A Feeling (Dub Mix)’ Laid Back
Album: Music for Dreams Vol. 4 (Compiled by Kenneth Bager)
Production: HIP Hotels Media
©All Rights Reserved HIP Hotels Media 2014
- Zakopane Hotels And Resorts: Top 10 Best Luxury Hotel In Zakopane 2018
- Wyndham Grand Istanbul Europe Hotel – ISTANBUL FIND [HD]
- World’s Top Hotels: Hotel Mystique, Oia, Santorini, Greece
- World’s Top Hotels: Four Seasons Hotel George V Paris, France
- World’s Most Unusual Hotels – Whitepod Hotel (Switzerland)
- Winter & Summer Holidays – Hotel Gran Paradiso
- Winter in Usseln – Winterurlaub im Sauerland – H+ Hotel Willingen – Usseln @h-hotels.com
- Winter im Hotel Marten | Saalbach Hinterglemm
- Winter getaway: A retro TV tower hotel | Euromaxx
- Winter 2017 Hotel Butterfly – Trailer
- What is the best hotel in Barcelona Spain ? Top 3 best Barcelona hotels as voted by travelers
- Welcome to Sheraton Davos Hotel Waldhuus
- Waste management in hotels – Reuse (Greek)
- Waste management in hotels – Reduce (Greek)
- Waste management in hotels – Recycling (Greek)
- Waste management in hotels – composting (Greek)
- Wanderhotel Erika – Wagrain – Austria
- W Barcelona – European Finest Hotels
- Vlog: Greek Holiday Hotel and Room Tour
- Villa Provence Hotel Trailer, Aarhus, Denmark | Luxury City Breaks in Europe with HIP Hotels TV